Dealing with the Feels ~ Stress in School Part 2

September 18, 2014

So, now that you know EVERYONE deals with stress, the question that presents itself is:
               
How do I deal with it?

I've found over the past four years that I have three main ways of reducing school-induced stress. These won't work for everyone, but it's how I've managed to stay sane despite the incredible work load I deal with.

1. Figure out what is causing you the most stress, and tackle it a little bit at a time. Whether it be a project, college apps, or studying for tests, breaking stuff up works wonders. Sit down with a calendar or a sheet of paper, write EVERYTHING you have to do, then number it by priority. Then, take the top three of those and break them down over a week. This accomplishes two main things: it keeps you from feeling overwhelmed at the size of a major assignment and helps you eliminate procrastination.

2. Find something, NOT SCHOOL RELATED, to do in your free time. Now, don't get me wrong: if you want to spend your free time researching historical events because that's what makes your blood rush, go for it. But for me, I find that doing something to take away from school really helps me relax. Go for a walk, go shopping, play ten hours of Minecraft, read a book. Do something that is a change of pace from every day events. This will give you a chance to breathe, take a step back, and just enjoy some of your time.

3. Talk to someone. This is probably the hardest out of all of these. I hate burdening people with my problems, so I'm the kind of person to just brood over anything that's bothering me, but getting something off your chest does wonders for the soul. Look for a friend or sibling who will put up with a vent session. Go for a coffee, and let loose the frustrations! If you're like me and have a hard time telling other people your problems, start a journal. Journaling can be like a conversation, but no one else has to know anything you say. Or, if you want to be really cool, you can even start a blog!

There are so many other ways to reduce stress, and if you're feeling the pressure, try something. It's better to go on a fifteen minute walk than to let something stir inside of you. Stress sucks, as we've established, and it is a necessary evil of our lives, but it can be dealt with!

And if none of these sound interesting to you, my personal favorite way to deal with stress: naptime!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© jessie belle. Design by FCD.