Savannah 2020 - Paris Market, Telfair Museums, & Macarons (Day 1 and 2)

September 29, 2020


DAY 1

Our first evening in Savannah involved the most important aspect of the trip: food. To kill some time before we checked in, we set off toward City Market in hopes of finding something to eat. We settled on coffee and macarons from Mabel's, a coffee shop right across the square from the market.


After wandering for a bit, we were able to check in the River Street Inn and get ready for dinner. We headed off down River Street, checking out the restaurants and shops along the river. For dinner, we landed on walking (I say walking, we took one look at the stairs and found the elevator) back up to Bay Street and heading over to Moon River Brewing Company. As a big fan of Breakfast at Tiffany's, I'm shocked I didn't know that Moon River was composed by Johnny Mercer about his childhood in Savannah, but naturally once I learned it, we had to stop in for dinner. Plus after driving five hours, Oktoberfest was calling my name!



DAY 2

Day 2 of Savannah started bright and early, with Michelle & I headed off the the Paris Market for breakfast. When I say this store matched the inside of my brain, I'm not even slightly exaggerating -- the French vibes, scattered antiques, and Ella Fitzgerald playing in the background made me feel like my brain had come to life. My iced Vanilla latte & Parisian breakfast sandwich were *chef's kiss* exquisite, and after some shopping we were off to the first museum of the trip.

 


Our first visit was to the Telfair's Jepson center. Opened in 2006, this museum featured an exhibit on impressionism called "Collecting Impressionism," which featured American, German, and French works of impressionist art. My favorite was a painting of the Brooklyn bridge, because even on vacation -- I can't escape Brooklyn.

"Collecting Impressionism: Telfair’s Modern Vision traces the early 20th-century footsteps of noted Telfair art advisor Gari Melchers (1860–1932) as he traveled the country and the globe identifying remarkable examples of the avant- garde art movement and giving them a permanent home in Savannah."


Our next stop, just across the street, was Telfair Academy. This museum features nineteenth and twentieth century American and European art, as well as period furniture and history about the house itself. Here we got to see the famous "Bird Girl" statue, featured on the cover of the 1994 novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.


We ended our day at Coco and Moss for drinks and some of the best sushi I've ever had before hopping on one of the last trolley tours of the day for a first look at the city.


Day 3 and 4 coming soon😇

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© jessie belle. Design by FCD.